Steve Van Kuiken – senior partner in McKinsey New Jersey office
Steve is the global leader of McKinsey Technology and helps organizations in the private and public sectors undergo major technology-enabled performance transformations.
Steve focuses on strategy development, organization, operations, and technology and has led numerous digital transformations for large organizations across sectors. He has served companies across industries, with a focus on healthcare organizations. He helps companies transform operational performance and increase market responsiveness. Prior to this role, he founded and led the firm’s Digital Practice in North America.
Examples of Steve’s recent client work include the following:
- leading a multisector global healthcare organization’s digital transformation, including developing new Internet of Things–enabled products, moving 95 percent of new-application deployments to the cloud, and implementing new digital capabilities across businesses
- defining the new digital and analytics operating model for the technology organization of a global bank to improve developer journeys and experience, enable a more standardized architecture, and accelerate a shift to the cloud
- conducting strategic reviews of large, federal government technology projects by defining major risks, implementation barriers, and skill and accountability gaps and recommending interventions
- defining a leading life insurer’s digital strategy, focusing the organization on a set of new products and businesses and, in partnership with existing business lines, shaping the development of a new internal organization to lead development
- leading operations- and technology-integration activities for a large healthcare merger and successfully collapsing two almost completely overlapping operations and technology platforms
- leading the digitization of country operations for a global pharmaceutical company, now replicating that success in its six largest country organizations
Steve is a frequent speaker at major industry conferences on the topic of technology in healthcare. He also leads technology-related research and knowledge development, which leading industry publications have cited.